I can define Branding is the process of identifying a product with a name or image that communicates the qualities and benefits of a product to customers and prospects. A strong brand creates a personality for the product and differentiates a product from competitors.
A Brand is a name, term, sign, symbol, design or a combination of them which is intended to identify the goods and services of one seller and to differentiate them from those competitors.
Defining your brand is like a journey of business self-discovery. It can be difficult, time-consuming and uncomfortable. It requires, at the very least, that you answer the questions below:
- What is your company’s mission?
- What are the benefits and features of your products or services?
- What do your customers and prospects already think of your company?
- What qualities do you want them to associate with your company?
- Do your research. Learn the needs, habits and desires of your current and prospective customers. And don’t rely on what you think they think. Know what they think.
The foundation of your brand is your logo. Your website, packaging and promotional materials-all of which should integrate your logo-communicate your brand.
Features of Branding
This consists of words or letters that can be pronounced for example Alba, Coca cola.
This is part of the brand that appears in the form of a symbol, design or coloring which can be recognized but cannot uttered.
This is a brand given legal protection and has been appropriated by one seller under the law.
All trade marks include words or letters that can be pronounced.Trade mark protects the seller exclusive rights to use the brand name or mark.
Qualities of a good brand name
- It should be easy to pronounce recognize and remember.
- Short names are the best since they get installed in the customers’ memory.
- It should be distinctive, i.e. should not be easily confused with others.
- Should be capable of being registered and legally protected under the law.
- Should suggest something about the product.
- Should not carry poor or confusing meaning about any society of the world.